Thursday, March 17, 2011

Australian Government Now Says "Do Not Travel" To Tokyo

I've just noticed that the DFAT travel advisory has been ramped up from "reconsider need to travel" to Tokyo, to "Do Not Travel" to Tokyo. Not sure what the implications are - or whether this is a precaution against the inherently more dangerous phase that the Fukushima operation has enetered. The overall Japanese advisory has also been upgraded from the lowest level of "Be Alert" to "High Degree of Caution".

I have to say, it doesn't get much more blunt than that. This comes on top of Australia following the US lead by increasing it's recommended exclusion zone to a radius of 80km from the Fukushima reactors.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like to hear this news. My wife's family lives about 100km from Fukushima plant. We are very worried but they have not left yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not be too concerned... the main issue (apparently) is still the lack of infrastructure, power, comms etc in Tokyo and Northern Honshu. I'm also sure that the other consideration that they're making is that Tokyo would become quite chaotic should something worse happen (sometimes it's hard to know just how bad things are).

    Having said that, I know for myself, 100km would be too near for comfort - but I also know it's not as simple as just getting up and leaving. I hope they are keeping their spirits up, and aren't struggling too much due to all the stuff going on their now.

    ReplyDelete