Monday, July 11, 2011

It's Show Time!... L-Kun Style

Just thought I'd share a "family moment" with you. Now L-kun's definitely bilingual, and to some extent we know that this has limited his development of English a little compared to comparable native-English-speaking Aussie children. It's something that's been a bit of a concern for us... but also we've been careful not to blow it out of proportion as well. Parents can be so demanding and competitive with their children, when they really need our love most of all.

However, the one thing that we're absolutely happy with is L-kun's enjoyment in sharing his creativity... especially when it comes to dance, song or now... stories and "movies". When I come home from work of an evening, there's often a theatre set up, with chairs for his audience, and a "Daddy, I want you to watch my show"... before I've even had a chance to close the door. I have to admit, a big part of me wants just to plonk down and relax... when actually, watching your children play is the most relaxing thing of all.

The above youtube video was taken a few weekends back (I have been too slack to do anything with it)... L-kun had just finished a whole series of drawings, and called us into his room where he had prepared something. Little did we know we were getting a real show. And what a show it was! He just made up the story as he went - and whilst I realise it's pure self-indulgence - hey, if you can't self-indulge on your own blog; what can you do?

7 comments:

  1. I was surprised to see that L-kun made up a real show from the beginning to the end. You must be proud.
    And please tell L-kun that, thanks to his show, I learned about Georgie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I was very surprised... we didn't know what to expect when he called us in, just that he wanted to do a show. Very proud, and loved every second of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - and PS, for those that don't no, obake no Georgie, is like the ghost Georgie. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, impressive! L-kun has limitless imagination. Maybe one of these days you can ask him to pen your biography. With terrible teeth and seven eyeballs and all. =P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah... why is it that as turn to adulthood we seem to lose the natural energy and creativity?... I'll have to try and capture one of his songs, or his magic show. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. too cute ben! great stuff. my boy, ash, who is now 5, was slow to start talking when he was younger due to the dual language in the house. the missus (zoomz), concerned that his progress was stunted due to her diagnosis that he was confused, switched to english only (against all advice). this turned out to be a mistake as now ash barely speaks japanese. we now send him to japanese school in an effort to recoup the lost early years of japanese language capability. we won't make the same mistake for our second child, luca 9 months. stay strong to the cause I have to keep reminding zoomz! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks reesan for your great comment, and good advice. We know very well how easy it is - and know of many families in the Aussie-Japanese community are in exactly the same position.

    We're trying hard, and I know T-chan's been adamant that we should keep up the effort for L-kun. I'm sure it's harder however once he starts school.

    I wouldn't mind hearing more of your experiences (on your blog or mine).

    ReplyDelete